Author Topic: Any AxeFx users?  (Read 3925 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Any AxeFx users?
« on: June 25, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
I just upgraded to 10.01 and it is Gooooooooooooooooooooood!

Playing with Marsha's hairy brown eye now  ;D

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Any AxeFx users?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »
Wow, that's just wrong! :D
I don't have one(as you know), but the way you talk about it, it's making me strongly consider getting one, when I have the cash. I've got a question, though. I'm thinking of getting a raunchy little tube amp like the Vox AC4TV, and am wondering if you think the AxeFx would sound good as a preamp/FX Unit through a low-tech amp like that?
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

ToneZappa

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »
I was about to get the Ultra but had some unforeseen expencies (had to buy a new roof...fast)
I think Cliff Chase is a pioneer that shall go down in guitar history as the man that really got the digital guitar amp sims thing starting to sound and feel good....... but how about a headphone socket ?

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »
I was about to get the Ultra but had some unforeseen expencies (had to buy a new roof...fast)
I think Cliff Chase is a pioneer that shall go down in guitar history as the man that really got the digital guitar amp sims thing starting to sound and feel good....... but how about a headphone socket ?

Hmm... great tone or roof. Tough call, but I'd say you made the right choice. I guess a headphone socket would be nice if you were going to use it that way, but most recording interfaces have them. And you could get a dedicated headphone amp pretty cheaply. The Eleven is no slouch either - I know the guy that did a lot of the amp modeling on it - it may be a little more accurate, but less tweakable.

Wow, that's just wrong! :D
I don't have one(as you know), but the way you talk about it, it's making me strongly consider getting one, when I have the cash. I've got a question, though. I'm thinking of getting a raunchy little tube amp like the Vox AC4TV, and am wondering if you think the AxeFx would sound good as a preamp/FX Unit through a low-tech amp like that?

Marsha's Hairy Brown Eye is an amp by the way :)

Sure, it would work, but you may not be taking full advantage of the Axe. You could use just the effects, or you could run it through the power section of your amp, bypassing the power-amp. Most Axe users end up going with a full range system, to take full advantage of the variety of speaker sims, and power amp emulation. I used studio monitors for a long time - they sound good, but sound more like a recording than an amp in the room.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:53:35 AM by funkle »

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
Jeez, ToneZappa, I've got almost the same problem. Though in my case it's just a rather large hole in the roof and some damaged flooring as a result(didn't know there was a hole, until the water came gushing out of a bookshelf!).

Thanks for the info, funkle. I kind of like the idea of unusual pairing of equipment, really. I think the TV4 will make a bitchin' practice amp and I just figured, in the long run, the AxeFx is probably cheaper than buying all that functionality in separate, discreet pieces of equipment. I'll have to put some thought into it. 
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

yogibear

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:18:44 PM »
demo of marsh's brown eye and hairy brown eye amp.

http://en.kendincos.net/video-trrthfpf-tone-merchants-and-dave-friedman-of-rack-systems-ltd-present-the-marsha-feat-jmr.html

I'm taking my daughter to Disneyland in Sept, which means one thing! Tone Merchants is 10 minutes away :) Tone Merchants is just about the coolest guitar store ever - more like a guy's dream living room than a guitar shop. I'm hoping they have one to try. If it is anything like the model, it should be fantastic.

yl_West

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Aryuserius
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
I was looking recently at both the Eleven and the AxeFX.  Good feedback on the AxeFX from Funkle.  Also have good feedback on the Eleven from Chip Flynn and Allan.  It sure would be nice to trim my rack down to an amp and a single rack piece.  Does it have a multi-tap delay?  I need about 6 taps from 5ms-500ms....
YL West
Aryuserius.com

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
I was looking recently at both the Eleven and the AxeFX.  Good feedback on the AxeFX from Funkle.  Also have good feedback on the Eleven from Chip Flynn and Allan.  It sure would be nice to trim my rack down to an amp and a single rack piece.  Does it have a multi-tap delay?  I need about 6 taps from 5ms-500ms....

I have experience with both. My buddy is an engineer at DD, largely responsible for Eleven, so I get all the insider info on it. The Eleven is more aimed at standard, vintage guitar tones and "set it and forget it" players. The AF has way more twakability, eseoteric amps and effects, and probably 10 times the sheer number of amps. The real power comes from using IRs in the speaker slot. IMO, you (and Allan) would be better served by the AF, because it IMO is able to get the sorts of tones you would associate with AH. So while the Eleven will probably do a better straight up vintage twin, the AF will get you whatever you can dream of.

For multi-tap holdsworth type delays, you should look at the AF Ultra rather than the Standard.

aliensporebomb

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
And I've gone completely the other direction using a Roland VG-99 which is just as an amazing box as the AxeFX in its own way.   

Downsides with the VG:  no marketing, no real support, internal patches blow but there's a vguitarforums site where there are patches that you can make it sit up and bark.  I really like it a lot, it works great for me who has an IT background.  I can see how it might frustrate others.

I still have my Mesa Boogie rig too.

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
You can't get the Ultra or the Standard new anymore, only the Axe-FX II.  I've had a Standard pretty much since they first came out and have gotten a lot of tone from it.  I've never tried the Eleven, though.

I also use a Roland VG-99, mostly for recording usable acoustic tones.  To me, the amp modeling in the VG-99 is terrible compared to the Axe-FX, and I would never recommend it for guys looking for great recorded electric tones.

aliensporebomb

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
You can't get the Ultra or the Standard new anymore, only the Axe-FX II.  I've had a Standard pretty much since they first came out and have gotten a lot of tone from it.  I've never tried the Eleven, though.

I also use a Roland VG-99, mostly for recording usable acoustic tones.  To me, the amp modeling in the VG-99 is terrible compared to the Axe-FX, and I would never recommend it for guys looking for great recorded electric tones.

Ah but the trick is the programmability.  I followed Bill Ruppert's advice and he sold his AxeFX and went with 2 VG-99s and makes his living/bread/butter with the VG.  Steep learning curve but you can emulate anything with it.  The trick is to not use the factory presets.  If you know sound you can make it sound like anything.  The dynamic control you can have it respond the way a real amp does.  I know the Axe II is nice but a bit too pricey.  Plus the stuff I use the VG for I've never heard anyone else
use it for the same stuff, my secret weapon.  If I need a more realistic tubular thing I use my Mesa rig.