Author Topic: My new album  (Read 2818 times)

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
My new album
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:41 AM »
Check out my new album Fire Goddess: http://councilofone.bandcamp.com/album/fire-goddess

Here's a silly video I made for the lead-off track:

Council of One - Kiss of the Fire Goddess

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: My new album
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
Love that Ponty vibe.  :)

I don't usually spend money on digital downloads, but this time I made an exception.
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »
Thanks!!!!   ;D

I will have CDs for sale eventually, but that takes time.  Bandcamp allows FLAC downloads, so you're getting the same quality anyway.

Believe it or not, the Ponty thing was entirely unintentional.  I was actually looking to crib a Mahavishnu vibe, but when I put together the middle section, I was like "oh my god, it's the long-lost bonus track from Enigmatic Ocean."   :laugh:

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
Well, I hate the drum machine. The sound and the programming. But the song ideas and the vibe are cool. Nice job!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
Cool. I also hear a bit of early Di Meola, in places(especially the screaming, treble-y bends), and maybe some Expresso-era Gong too.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the sample. Good stuff indeed! I never like to say oh, that sounds like so and so, but I'm getting a classic vibe that I like.

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »
Thanks, guys. Al D. was definitely a big influence on my playing back in the day, though that wasn't the approach I was going for with this album. Sort of tough to escape it, though.

There's also definitely a retro feel to this album. Since I've added more keyboards and electronic wind instrument to my music recently, I've been "feeling my oats" a bit that way. With the next album, I want to refocus on the guitar and get away from such a retro feel.

I do have CD-Rs for sale now through CD Baby: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/councilofone2

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
I think the drums sound good, what did you use? Anyway, you might could have varied them more, but the actual sound of them is good. I wish I had a drum machine that sounded as good, and by God, I'd program that sucker to where you couldn't tell it was a machine.

Harmonically, it seems a little stuck on a 'drone,' which is OK, I love drones, but you could maybe go to a different area for a bridge...

Anyway, it's easy to sit back and criticize. I should do my own friggin' album! Good work! Gitter done!
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Thanks for checking it out! I used my old Roland XV-5080 module with the Dynamic Drums expansion board, sequenced in my Yamaha Motif ES-6. To be honest, I'm not happy with the drum sounds on that album now. I should have used the drum kits in the Motif, which are much fatter--those were the ones I used on my first five albums, and it made a big difference.

I love the modal stuff, what can I say? That particular album was done in a big hurry, so I didn't have a lot of time to write more complex material. I recorded it in early summer 2012 in a race against time before my son was born. After he joined us in August '12, I completely ripped up my studio and replaced it with a PC-based system (I was using a Korg D3200 before that), complete with Superior Drummer and Komplete 8 VSTi packages. And I haven't done diddly squat since then. :)

I've got a whole bunch of projects in mind right now, none of which exactly fit in the definition of fusion, the way the Fire Goddess album did. Some of it's going to be way wackier than that, and some will be more rock and pop.