Author Topic: Leslies and Leslie simulators  (Read 1607 times)

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Leslies and Leslie simulators
« on: June 03, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
I've always dug the sound of a guitar through a Leslie, ever since the days of "Badge," Blind Faith, Joe Walsh, and others. Jimmie Vaughan used one to great effect on the Fabulous Thunderbirds' instrumental "In Orbit" from the album "Butt Rockin'."
I have a Digitech RPM-1, a single-space rack mount unit which uses a 12AX7 tube for the distortion. It sounds pretty good. I also have the Line 6 modulation stomp-box (the blue one) which sounds OK; on a whim, I got the Rolls RFX147, a rather obscure single-space rack mount unit, which is Ok but rather noisy. My Roland GP-100 preamp has some Leslie sounds built-into it as well.
I became interested in Dynacord (a German company distributed in the US by EV) when I was working for a sound installation company which was also an Electro-Voice dealer. I saw a brochure on the Dynacord DLS223, and was instantly intrigued. This is also a single-space rack mount unit, grey in color, which is also MIDI capable. I finally found one of these units on-line, and I am awaiting its arrival.
This Dynacord DLS223 is the digital update of the older analogue Dynacords, which you might see floating by from time to time; these are black in color, and both US and European 220 volt versions are out there, so be careful when purchasing one. Check the back of the unit to make sure the female AC insert is indeed US, or it will not work, even with an adaptor. I experienced this when I bought a used one from a pawn shop, and it had a plug adaptor. No sound would come out, because it was a 220-volt European unit, and our 120-volt voltage was too low. The unit lit-up, but no sound. I was refunded my money, and I think the guy who traded it in was the guilty party, scamming the pawn shop, who did not realize the problem until I pointed it out. I was fooled also, because in my excitement, I merely plugged the unit in to check its function instead of actually listening to it.
I will return with a review of the Dynacord after I receive it.
I know of other types of units out there, like the Hughes & Kettner Rotosound, and actual rotating speaker cabinets.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:29:34 PM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Leslies and Leslie simulators
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
I know it's not quite the same thing, but I'm pretty happy with my Danelectro FAB chorus I got on sale for $14.
You can get some nice, varied sounds by messing with the speed, depth, and mix controls(with the mix and depth cranked, it's more like some kind of wacked out vibrato).
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Re: Leslies and Leslie simulators
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Well, the Dynacord DLS223 arrived on Thursday, and was in good working order. It sounds good; very realistic, and much quieter than my Rolls Rotorhorn RFX147. It only has space for 3 user memories, which is OK, since all I'm wanting is a natural sounding Leslie. I haven't had time to explore the 46 parameters, things like changing the crossover points, room sounds, panorama, rotation direction, speed-up and down ratio curves, comb filters, etc. The seller included a Xeroxed owner's manual, and this will really help, because accessing these parameters is a rather arcane process, involving holding 2 buttons down at once.
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno