Author Topic: Lightweight Bass equipment  (Read 2209 times)

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
Lightweight Bass equipment
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
Due to radiation after removal of the tumor in my leg, I cannot lift more than 30 pounds, according to my doctor. I'm looking at replacing my beloved SWR Super Redhead with lighter gear. I'm torn between a combo amp, and really like the MarkBass Mini, which is 300 watts with a 12 inch speaker, and very small indeed, or separate head, cabinets, such as possibly the Genz Benz 6.0 which is 375 watts at 8 ohms with a preamp, very light and something like the Fender Rumble cabinet, either the 2X8 or 1X12.
I own an old PAS 2X10, which might be best as an extension cabinet. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:55:15 AM by rapidfirerob »

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lightweight Bass equipment
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
Are there any class D bass amps? Light, small, high power with low energy requirements. They are like the LED lamp of amps.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

conebeckham

• Trusted Member
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
Rapidman and I have been discussing this via e-mail...it's not so much the amp, but the cabs, that are the issue.

Class D amps are the big news in Bass, and there are a bunch.  Genz Benz, Markbass, TC Electronic, and others are making 500 watt heads that weigh under 6 lbs. and can fit in your gig bag.

It's the cabs that weigh....so far, we can't find anything lighter than the Rumber 2X8.   

I want an Epifani 112, personally...but it looks like it would weigh more.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
I tried out the Genz Benz 6.0 yesterday. I'm probably going to get that amp when I sell my SWR.
I'm either going to swap out the speakers in my PAS cabinet for some Neos, or get a GK 1X12, which is affordable and 30 pounds. I may do both at some point. The Portaflex is overpriced for what you get IMO.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 02:05:54 PM by rapidfirerob »

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »
It's now between the GK and Traynor 12 cabs, it seems.
Ordered the GK 112 Neo from classifieds on Talk Bass and the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 from The Bass Place.
Can Cone be far behind on the Genz Benz?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 06:40:29 PM by rapidfirerob »

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
Got both the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and GK Neo 112. Sounds great! Looking forward to playing out with the new rig.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
Bought a second GK 112 NeoII cab last year. Just received the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 today! Fender shut down Genz Benz, as they did SWR. The head engineer, Andy, is on Talk Bass and responds to any questions regarding GB amps. He also does repairs, though they are rarely needed. Andy lives in Davis, Ca. not too far from me. He just took a job with Mesa. There should be some kick ass bass amps coming from them in the not too distant future. Fender is still honoring GB warranties. Folks are snapping up the remaining inventory of Genz Benz amps. Long live Genz Benz! http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2821&sid=715&cid=95