Author Topic: How do I find some of this obscure fusion?  (Read 18103 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
How do I find some of this obscure fusion?
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:06 AM »
There is a lot of what might seem like obscure music discussed here. There is some fantastic stuff out there, and it's worth checking it out, and tracking down some of it. What are some recommended ways of doing this?

There aren't always links in the post, but here is a very good way to quickly find something:
highlight the item, right-click and select "search in google". This will bring up a google search in most browsers. In Safari for the Mac, hold down the command key while selecting "search in google" to open the search in a new tab.

Some good sources that might come up are:
The artists own site - often you can buy CDs & downloads (or links to where they are available) from the artists site.
Amazon - They have all the mainstream stuff and some of the more obscure stuff & imports as well. Plus they have non-drm digital downloads at a decent bitrate.
iTunes - Quite a large selection of fusion.
CDBaby - A very good selection of less mainstream artists: more small/independent label stuff.
AbsrtactLogix - A dedicated fusion site with a huge catalog of domestic & imports music. They are producing under their own label as well.
Audiophile Imports - The old standby for fusion. Just about everything here with a great helpful small shop environment.

When you search music, there will most likely be some results for downloading music via torrent or file share. Sometimes this can the only option when you're trying to find something that is simply not available, or prohibitively expensive. Just keep in mind that this is technically illegal, but in the case of something that is not in print, it seems unlikely that anyone could object. As for downloading music that is currently available for sale, please always think about the artist that is making the music that you are enjoying, and is trying to make an often meager living doing it. It's your own call, and it is really in effect an honor system nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:50:02 AM by funkle »

chezmateo

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find some of this obscure fusion?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »
Personally, being in the Philly-NY corridor I can drop in on any number of used record stores and find almost anything imaginable as long as I have an open mind. Princeton Record Exchange near Princeton U. has tens of thousands of CD's at any given time, often for 2-3 dollars each. They even have searchable on-line references. My last 'pop-in' there netted a live Schleigho concert which featured Derek Trucks. Oteil Burbridge, Aydin Esen, Chris Potter, Roland Vasquez, Donny McCaslin, Eric Essix, Barbara Dennerlein and Rene Engel were all found in my last 3-hour 'pop-in', all at about 3 dollars each. In a university town full of the artsy-fartsy types, artists like these I've named are just redeemed 'lunch money' for those cashing out by selling. With the close proximity to NYC, as with any big city market, the pipeline for obscurities is massively proliferated.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
right-click and select "search in google" while holding down the command key. This will bring up a google search in a new tab in most browsers, Mac or PC.

There is one small problem, funkle: PCs do not have a Command key.
Luckily, a simply right-click does the trick for us IBM types ;)

@chez >> man, I envy you your selection. That has got to be a ridiculously fun treasure hunt.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »
right-click and select "search in google" while holding down the command key. This will bring up a google search in a new tab in most browsers, Mac or PC.

There is one small problem, funkle: PCs do not have a Command key.
Luckily, a simply right-click does the trick for us IBM types ;)

@chez >> man, I envy you your selection. That has got to be a ridiculously fun treasure hunt.

What is the PC equivalent that will open the search in a new tab?

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »

Highlight, then right click.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »

Highlight, then right click.

Sorry to beat a dead hoarse, but there is an option to open a search in a new tab? Not just a google search which will result in leaving the main page?

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
Sorry to beat a dead hoarse, but there is an option to open a search in a new tab? Not just a google search which will result in leaving the main page?

It opens in a new tab automatically on PCs, no special buttons required.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:51:31 AM »

It opens in a new tab automatically on PCs, no special buttons required.

Thanks!

timfzun

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 12:04:33 AM »

if you know the obscure fusion groups name, just google it along with the word blogspot. if that brings up too many vague non music related results, add the word fusion in with the search. it's not right to steal music of course, but much of the real obscure stuff is out of print. to check out random obscure fusion, browse those same fusion blogspot pages. many got taken down. a few might be left. i dont check them anymore as i have slow connection now, but you can find some great obscure stuff there.

another way to find old obscure fusion is at PROG blogspot pages. Many times prog blogs have tons of old obscure 70s "jazzy prog" groups that are really just fusion by another name, but got categorized as prog for some reason back in the 70s which got them stuck there ever since. Guess they didnt make the distinctions as clear back then between jazzy prog and fusion (for example the canterbury scene is though often thought of as prog but its just "british fusion" to me). It seems each european country in the 70s had a couple of great fusion groups that got categorized as prog that is jazzy. Not to say they dont have some prog in them too, so many are a prog/fusion blend if you will, but often quite high in the jazz fusion content, with very little prog if any, so really more straight fusion more than prog. There are TONS of greats i found that way that i have NEVER seen mentioned as fusion bands or on fusion pages, so that a whole other realm to explore for you guys that only know the fusion that is called fusion.