Author Topic: Gibson L5s  (Read 8370 times)

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Gibson L5s
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »

I had never heard of the L5-S. What a beautiful instrument. It looks like it might be a little bulkier than a Les Paul(makes me wonder what they must've weighed) and it has that "trapeze" tailpiece and Tune-O-Matic(or similar) bridge combo that so many jazzboxes have. I'm guessing that would give it an "airier" sound, with somewhat less sustain, kind of like a floating trem?

Anyway, this is one of those "thinking out loud" moments, so I'll probably feel like an idiot in the morning, but here goes... I was listening to Martino just a few minutes ago and I was trying to come up with some kind of analogy for what I heard. While "Waltz For Geri" was playing, I thought to myself that Pat's playing has a kind of vocalist sensibility. Not necessarily a "Jazz" vocalist, either, but a kind of sense of place, as well as destination. I don't get the feeling that he's flying by the seat of his pants when he solos. He doesn't sound like he could fade into comping in the background at any moment, you know? There's a lot of confidence there. He's in control.
I'll have to give Starbright/Joyous Lake a fresh listen tomorrow and see if this idea holds up. Unfortunately, these are the only Martino recordings I've picked up, so far, so I have to get what I can get from them for the moment.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:05:12 PM by Halfdim7 »
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson L5s
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:19 PM »
HalfDim, those are nice photos of the L5-S. I've always wanted one; there's one on E-Bay, but it's over 4000 dollars. Looks like Ibanez needs to make a knock-off, for guys like me. Their Artcore series is interesting, as well as cheap.

Other Martinos you should get are "We'll Be Together Again" which is just him, and Gil Goldstein on Rhodes piano. It's very dark and super-bassy; if you have subwoofers, it sounds great. It is many people's favorite, from what I've read in Amazon reviews. Also, "Exit" is a good one, with drums, acoustic piano, and string bass, like a traditional standards setup. Both of these feature what I call the 'good' Martino sound. The later one "Both Sides Now" (Blue Note) is interesting, with duets and some experimentation. If you can afford it, get the Japanese 'Consciousness.' It's mastered a little bit better, and has more sparkle in the high end.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00005MFW3/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:15:57 PM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
I found a page that had the list prices for the L5-s and, according to the info, it was Gibson's highest-end solidbody, debuting at $895 in 1973. By '78, it was $1079 and then it went up by $100 a year, every year. By 1983, it retailed for $1,699. The price doubled in that 10-year span.
Here's the link http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/gibsonL5S.php
There's an eBay listing at the bottom of the page. $4,849. Ouch.
Thanks for the rec's, millions. I just blew my last musical dollar getting an import copy of Holdsworth's Secrets, but I'll make a note of these.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
Looks like Ibanez needs to make a knock-off, for guys like me.

They did, only problem is finding one. (is that a goat in the background?)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:39:14 PM by funkle »

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
Wow! That is one blatant (and beautiful) rip-off. They even have those funky "studio" pickups.
Is this now, or has it ever been in your personal cache of Ibanez's, Sven?

Looks like a baby goat. They better keep it away. It'll eat that guitar!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:43:09 PM by Halfdim7 »

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
Wow! That is one blatant (and beautiful) rip-off.

That's how Ibanez got their start: in the rip-off business. They copied just about every fender & gibson you could think of. Some say they did it better than the original  :-\

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:52:41 AM »
I had a Les Paul/Ibanez copy, and it was HOLLOW! Actually more comfortable than a real Les Paul. That guitar served me well, until the gold plating started peeling off...

I'm looking for Yamaha to revive that solid body they made, I can't remember the model...it had two pointed horns, similar to this L5-S. Frank Gambale mentioned Yamaha not too long ago, and I thought he was going to do a signature model with them...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:55:02 AM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »
It's a Yamaha SG2000 you're talking about.

They did reintroduce it. Heres a thread with some cool pics.

Chris Poland from Ohm plays one. He also has a cool hollow version called the SBG2000

Frank Gambale went over to Yamaha from Ibenez about 10 years ago. He has a signature model called the AESFG. It's supposed to be a great guitar.

I've always though Yamaha made nice instruments, but never owned one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:12:01 AM by funkle »

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »
Wasn't John McLaughlin's double-neck based on the Yamaha SG?
I think a lot of people mistake it for the Gibson SG-style double-neck that Jimmy Page played.

By the way, is this the same Chris Poland of Megadeth fame?

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 10:32:42 AM »
Wasn't John McLaughlin's double-neck based on the Yamaha SG?
I think a lot of people mistake it for the Gibson SG-style double-neck that Jimmy Page played.

By the way, is this the same Chris Poland of Megadeth fame?

Yes, I just posted some Poland vids in the youtube section. You need to check out Chris' band Ohm. Ginger Baker's son Kofi on drums.

McLaughlin played a Gibson doubleneck at first, then a custom Rex Bogue.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:37:35 AM by funkle »

aliensporebomb

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 10:14:39 AM »
I personally loved the look of the L5-S ever since I heard McLaughlin used one on "Inner Worlds".

However, I ended up with one of these since the L5 was a bit too dear:

Closer: