Author Topic: Peavey T 60 Guitar  (Read 5737 times)

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Peavey T 60 Guitar
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
So, I was at my local mom and pop guitar shop the other day and I saw something hanging on the wall. Not terribly surprising, considering it was the guitar wall. However, this was an instrument which had been burrowing into my subconscious, ever since it first showed up in the store. This was maybe the 3rd time I saw it there, but I suddenly decided I was going to really consider buying it.
I examined the unusual appointments on the guitar: a large, triangular string tree, the words "Peavey/Made in the U.S.A.," a maple neck, 2 blade-style humbuckers(this is getting interesting...), a Gibson-style 3-position toggle switch, independent tone and volume controls for each pickup and...another toggle switch? This one is 2-position, though...
A rock-solid looking hardtail(with some greenish discoloration/light corrosion) and...flipping it over...a string-thru-body.
I asked Brian, the salesperson(and a guy with a Palmerian drum-kit)what the heck it was. Turns out, it was a Peavey T 60, the first guitar Peavey ever produced and, judging by the blade pickups, possibly an '81 model.
That extra toggle switch was a coil-tap, it turns out.
He then suggested I hold it(the guitar). Okay, why not?
What the?! It's the heaviest guitar I have ever held! Brian remarked on the fact that it could give many Les Pauls a run for their money in terms of girth. To make a long story short, I tried it out, connected with it, despite it's unwieldiness and put $60 down towards a $225 price-tag, hardcase included.
Has anybody else encountered one of these axes? Any thoughts/opinions?
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: Peavey T 60 Guitar
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:27 PM »
The fact that it's a made in USA Peavy is a good sign. Heavy can be a mixed blessing. I had a Ibanez Artist that weighed like 10 lbs. Sounded good, but hurt like hell.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
Yeah, I've got one of the low-end Peavey Predators from the 90's that was made in the U.S. and it's a pretty nice Strat clone. I paid $150 for it at a pawn shop, because, like Rodney Dangerfield, Peavey gets no respect in the vintage guitar market.
I also find endless satisfaction in the fact that it was made of poplar before polar was hip  8)

The weight of the T60 wouldn't concern me so much if it wasn't for the fact that it's extremely bottom-heavy. If you sit in a chair with it, it tries to somersault off your leg! I will need a helluva strap to handle this baby. On the (literal) up side, it may just come to rest in perfect classical position. Ya never know.
Anyway, it was just so vibe-y that I had to nab it. You can apparently get them quite readily on ebay, but I'd much rather buy local, so I have somebody I can deal with face-to-face. And I think any concerns that may come up will be taken very seriously if I'm wielding this guitar. ;D
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
HalfDim, I always like the Peavey T-60. It was capable of a lot of good sounds. Problem was, it was too heavy. I had a used one, but it was too worn on the neck, so I traded it. If I could find a really pristine one, I'd get it. BTW, this guitar holds the distinction of being the first production guitar made on a computerized router.
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
Thanks, mill. I kept seeing references to it being the first guitar built using "modern production methods" and phrases like that, but none of them elaborated on which modern production methods. I did read that it was because Hartley Peavey noticed the consistency of the stocks on his rifles and decided to apply the methods that were being used in the manufacturing of weapons to the (somewhat) more peaceful end of guitar making.

The thing really is massively heavy, but I'm hoping with a nice wide strap(and maybe some weight training) it'll be manageable, because it really is a hell of a vibe-y guitar.

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:04:12 PM »
I'd like to get the electronics & pickups out of a T-60 and put them on a different guitar. That might be the ticket. The only celebrity mention of the T-60 I ever heard was that bluesman Johnny Copeland used them.

In that same article, he talked about his first trip to Africa. His band was playing outdoors in a village. Night was falling, and he was obviously very excited about his first gig in Africa.

Then he thought he was freaking out, when the trees started shaking in rhythm to his music!
It turns out there were guys up in the trees, shaking them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:05:57 PM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:30:55 PM »
Cool story. Is that in an issue of Vintage Guitar? Somebody on another forum mentioned that they did an article on the T-60 fairly recently.

I'm wondering if a lot of the trouble has more to do with balance, than overall heft. Guitars like the T-60 and Les Paul might seem even heavier because of the short horns/cutaways and bottom-heavy body shape. Even though it's got a pretty hefty neck, the T-60 wanted to tip backwards, whereas the guitars I own with Strat-like bodies balance well, when placed on the knee. It may be bad ergonomics that are causing the shoulder aches.

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
I think that Johnny Copeland interview was in an old issue of Guitar Player. Yeah, to me, the beauty of the T-60 was in its electronics & pickups, and all the coil-tapping & phase switches. You could get a myriad of sound out of them, from creamy-sounding humbuckers to biting single-coil. The guitar itself was good & solid, and the neck radius was flatter than a Fender radius, so bends sounded real clear.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
It's interesting, because I have an acquaintance who owns a Brian May signature guitar, and despite having a very interesting design and fairly complex electronics(if memory serves) he says that he cannot get anything but an extremely trebly tone out of it(He used the word "papery"), no matter what amps or FXs he's tried it with.

I remember reading that Jimmy Page had his 3 p'up Les Paul set up so that all three humbuckers could be set in-series, to create, basically, one giant 6-coil pickup! I'd love to try that some day.

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »
halfdim, my favorite Strat wiring is one devised by Dan Armstrong. It was published in Guitar Player. It is designed for the Seymour Duncan 'Stack' humbuckers that look like Strat pickups, without the buzz.

It does away with the front tone knob (the middle one) and turns it into a 'gradual phase' knob. The rear knob stays as it is, as tone for the treble (bridge) pickup, which might need it.

The middle knob is conscripted into service to work with the 5-way pu selector switch. With the 5-way tone switch fully forward (position 1), the rhythm pickup is normal. Roll the middle knob back, and it gradually becomes single-coil. In position 2, the knob rolls between rhyth/middle pickups both, as normal, to gradually a series configuration of the two, which is louder. And so on, for each of the other positions.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
That does sound interesting, mill. A bit complex, but I imagine it would significantly boost the versatility of the already very versatile Stratocaster design.

So, I paid off the T-60 on Friday and was delighted to see how nicely Jason, the guitar tech/instructor had cleaned everything up. Luckily, all the greenish discoloration was cleaned away and the very corroded-looking tailpiece looks almost as good as new! What is even more inconceivable, is that the hardshell case that came with it is the original Peavey T-60 case, in excellent condition and the quality of the case alone would probably make it cost well over $100 for a similar one and I only paid $225 for the whole package. The case may actually weigh more than the T-60, which is not as awkward as I'd feared(I inherited my dad's strong shoulders, I guess).
I'm still working on wrapping my mind around all the electronic options, but right out of the box the sucker just wails! It can generate everything from thick, midrange humbucker tone, to shrill, squealing Telecaster-like sounds. This may end-up being my go-to ax and I would not hesitate to buy 2 or 3 more if I can find them in good condition for a reasonable price.
 I think you can still download all the old Peavey manuals from their website, so I'll have to check that out.