Author Topic: Tube buffers  (Read 3718 times)

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Tube buffers
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »
I've got my eye on this nifty doodad
http://www.redironamps.com/buffer.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:14:14 PM by Halfdim7 »
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Adventures in desk-fi
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:07:57 AM »
I've got my eye on this nifty doodad
http://www.redironamps.com/buffer.html

I remember seeing that one when I was looking at buffers to fix the tone that all the pedals screwed up - now that I'm not using pedals, there's no need for buffers any more. One of the many benefits of going virtual...

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Adventures in desk-fi
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
Regarding the Red Iron buffer, Guitar Player claimed that it functions as an overall tone enhancer, not just a signal buffer.
They said it was particularly useful for enriching the tone of guitar processors and other digital options like software amp/cab/effect simulation.
They even said it made a good stand-alone amplifier for clean-toned playing!
I'll try and dig up the review, but I remember the words "secret sauce" or something similar.
It seems like it's one of those "mojo" items. It just gives whatever you use it on a little something extra. 
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
Re: Tube buffers
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
I bought the Grant Fidelity B-283 to play CDs through my home stereo and really notice a difference in
warmth. It is supposed to be great with instruments as well. YouTube demo: Guitar Amp Solid State to Tube Grant Fidelity tube processor
Sorry about his guitar playing. These are made in China and imported into Canada. I called the company with questions and
got a response from the owner on a Saturday! I got it for $150 at the time. Now it is $219. You can replace the tubes to change
the sound as well, I read on a forum. My only complaint is there is no power light. I find myself leaving it on by mistake at times, a minor issue for sure. Anyway, my two cents.
http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/node/75

Wallace The Lad

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Regal Zonophone I  (not II)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 04:49:23 AM »
Ive never actually experienced it but, bah! that Chinese tinker toy is for portable picnick players.

You read lots on the audio forums that they dont rate Chinese tubes.

Progmasters dont dick around. I got one of the earliest models Fishers:

Must be 30 lbs of solder alone on this. Mullard rectifier tube - the best.

(Thats a back view. Front view will cost you 100 dollah , Hamerican.)
Listening to THAT fusion lp is like sucking creamcorn from the socket, then licking thirty year old tire carcass at the back of Planet Earth ParkingLot.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
It might be wise to judge something after you've heard it, not before.

Wallace The Lad

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Regal Zonophone I  (not II)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 04:49:48 AM »
To judge it means Id have to buy it.
What incentive when I possess a FISHER?

And about Chinese tubes....well perhaps the audiophyles at AudioKarma (and I think I read something at Hoffmann forum also) are a clueless, over-picky lot.

(To give some credit though, I did read favorable reports about that red number on Waxidermy forum - but your advised to take any recommendations that come from a forum which ,willingly and moreover  proudly celebrates  crap American oddball loner/amputee private press record-finds,   with a grain of salt.)
Listening to THAT fusion lp is like sucking creamcorn from the socket, then licking thirty year old tire carcass at the back of Planet Earth ParkingLot.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:36 AM »
To judge it means Id have to buy it.
What incentive when I possess a FISHER?

And about Chinese tubes....well perhaps the audiophyles at AudioKarma (and I think I read something at Hoffmann forum also) are a clueless, over-picky lot.

(To give some credit though, I did read favorable reports about that red number on Waxidermy forum - but your advised to take any recommendations that come from a forum which ,willingly and moreover  proudly celebrates  crap American oddball loner/amputee private press record-finds,   with a grain of salt.)

Chinese tubes usually suck, but it's easy enough to roll them. This gives you the ability to custom tailor the way the device sounds. The Chinese may not produce great tubes, but they are certainly capable of making some top notch electronics - everything on my desk comes from China, my Mac, my headphones, my iPhone my DAC & headphone amp, my speakers, my camera. It's easy to imagine scary 3rd world sweat shops, but the truth is that most of this stuff is made in state of the art facilities. This, in combination with one of the lowest labor rates enables them to dominate production. Even a lot of the high end audio companies produce in China - it allows them to offer the most competitive product - whether it was soldered in the US or China has no bearing on the sound.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 09:34:37 PM »
Yes, I did say that the tubes can be swapped out. I wasn't saying anything about the tubes really, just the product itself, which I really like, and the price is excellent. Most everything we buy these days is made or assembled elsewhere. You might as well not buy anything. Good luck in not getting products from China.