Author Topic: A little wood for you (my guitars)  (Read 3911 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
A little wood for you (my guitars)
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »
Here is my current heard, in order of preference. I just realized that all but the Tyler have flame maple tops :D

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:24:28 PM by funkle »

fusion58

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • daimone-sound.com
Re: A little wood for you (my guitars)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »
Sweeeet!

Lovin' the Burning Water.  8)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 07:31:25 AM »
The Tyler, Anderson and Hamer are all gone now. (thanks to the taxman), and I gotta say I don't miss them. The Suhr is that good :D

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
What model of Ibanez archtop is that, funkle?
I'm thinking of getting an jazz box and my local guitar shop has several models by Ibanez in stock right now
(I've also been recommended the Epiphone Emperor Swingster).
I want something that can handle mellow, jazzy, clean-tones and gnarly distortion stuff as well.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:46:28 PM »
What model of Ibanez archtop is that, funkle?
I'm thinking of getting an jazz box and my local guitar shop has several models by Ibanez in stock right now
(I've also been recommended the Epiphone Emperor Swingster).
I want something that can handle mellow, jazzy, clean-tones and gnarly distortion stuff as well.

If you want distortion, you might consider a 335 style, or the Ibanez equivalent (AS series). A hollow body will feed back at volume. Mine is an AG195 - The AG series is pretty cool. They're based on the George Benson model. They are more mellow than the AS.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »
Thanks, funkle.
So, the AG's don't have a center block; They're fully-hollow?
I keep getting pointed to 335 type guitars for the versatility and value. Either the Ibanez AS line or the Epiphone Emperor or Dot lines have been recommended since I don't want to sink $1000+ in my first jazz box.
I like the idea of the controllable feedback you can get with a semi-hollow, but without a center-block, it would probably be uncontrollable, right?
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
They do have one simi-hollow AG model - the AGS. As soon as you put the maple block in it really changes the sound IMO. The guitar becomes brighter and harder edged. It works well for a lot of jazz players, but it is not as mellow/warm. The GB was designed to be smaller and more feedback resistant, so it may work for you. I personally think it has the best dark jazz tone out of all the Ibanez boxes. Mine sounds good with distortion, but I haven't cranked it to feedback levels - I can try it if you want. I wonder if it could do the Trey Anistasio thing? Mine has .013 flats on it, and super low action, a great jazz setup, but not good for much else. If I changed strings and raised the action, it could really change the character.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »
Sure, thanks! That would be cool.
You might even get a fresh perspective on your ax in the bargain!
I've also been wondering about what the character of flat-wounds would be with distortion. Seems like it might be kinda muddy, but I'm not sure.

I saw a hollow-body Ibanez on display last time I was at my local guitar shop and it might be an AG, since it looked just a little fatter than a semi-hollow Ibanez that was sitting next to it, but not monstrous. I'll have a closer look next time.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
Actually it sounds really bright and high mid focused with distortion. Those heavy strings pump a lot of current, so it's not muddy at all - I don't find the distorted tone usable at all. I can record it if you want.

I had an AS200 (The same year as Scofield's) and it had a great overdriven tone, very Larry Carlton, and of course, Scofield. It was kind of cool that it could pull off a Carton/Ford thing, and a funky jazz tone with the flick of a switch. They are actually brighter sounding than most 335s. Many 335s are crap when it comes to playability IMO, but may have a little fuller, more traditional jazz tone.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 12:52:09 AM »
Sure!
I'm always up for hearing some "useless" tones! Maybe it would suit my useless playing :)
Actually, I've still never heard you play, at all. I heard millions' take on the backing tracks thread and you've both heard(privately) my attempts at creating a semi-coherent series of pitches, using a guitar.

Come to think of it, I think the Ibanez hollowbodies that I saw at the guitar shop were all strung with light-gauge strings; not even a wound 3rd, let alone flatwound jazz strings. Interesting.
Personally, I can't use anything lighter than .10s without yanking them all out of tune(or off the fretboard), because I started on a very cheap acoustic, strung w/ .13s. The action was probably like 3/4 of an inch at the 12th fret.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »
They always put rock strings on jazz guitars. That's the first thing you have to do is put some Thomastik-Infelds on. There's something about a jazz box with heavy flats that is inspiring. Also, being limited to roughly 14 frets changes your approach (in a good way).

You know, Ø, I have to give you credit, this little discussion has me playing my jazz-box again. I had to remove a heavy dust layer. And the strings...

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »
You know, Ø, I have to give you credit, this little discussion has me playing my jazz-box again. I had to remove a heavy dust layer. And the strings...

Glad I could be of service!
Let me know if/when you've got some stuff recorded. I'd love to hear some.

I'm a little confused though. You said that your GB sounded good distorted, but then you said later that it wasn't "usable." Were you misremembering the distorted tone, initially, or was that based on the same instrument, set-up differently?

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
I'm a little confused though. You said that your GB sounded good distorted, but then you said later that it wasn't "usable." Were you misremembering the distorted tone, initially, or was that based on the same instrument, set-up differently?

Yeah I got a little crossed up there. My first post was remembering from a few years back that you could actually use the bridge pickup with some distortion and get a sort of raspy, Gretch type sound. And my second post was after actually trying it again, and realizing that I have no use for that sort of sound, but you or someone else might.