Author Topic: The Band I Most Wish That I Had Seen  (Read 915 times)

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
The Band I Most Wish That I Had Seen
« on: March 01, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
Just watching a video of Tribal Tech performing in 1996. That is the band I most wish I had had a chance to see live. I caught Scott Henderson when he played in London but as far as I am aware Tribal Tech never toured in England. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of acts (I lived in London until 2004) but that is one act that I really wish I had seen.

Shadow

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Band I Most Wish That I Had Seen
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:24:24 PM »
Either Miles Davis or Frank Zappa. For some reason it just never struck me to go see either one. I guess because in the 80's we were raising kids and dealing with illnesses and hospital stays.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »
I saw them 4 times!

Mine would be Return to Forever in their prime. I saw both of the recent reunion tours, but neither was as fierce as the 70's boots I have from them.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
It's difficult to choose just one, but Jean-Luc Ponty in 1978 would have been nice. Or maybe some early Brand X... or Bruford w/Holdsworth... or...  ;D
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

Shadow

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:22 PM »
I saw them 4 times!

Mine would be Return to Forever in their prime. I saw both of the recent reunion tours, but neither was as fierce as the 70's boots I have from them.

I remember seeing the Romantic Warrior tour. The stage was in the middle of the audience and it rotated in a circle. I remember sneaking in a goatskin looking bag of wine passing it up and down the row. Those were the days.

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 12:31:36 AM »
At least I can say I have seen Miles quite a few times, Zappa once, Return To Forever in their prime, Ponty and Brand X. I've also seen Holdsworth quite a few times but not with Bruford. That lineup with Annette Peacock and Jeff Berlin would have been something - I do have an allegedly limited edition 42 minute DVD of them performing at Oxford Polytechnic in 1979 though. Happy memories.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 04:29:50 AM »
I do have an allegedly limited edition 42 minute DVD of them performing at Oxford Polytechnic in 1979

Is that supposed to be limited? I know it got an official release in the mid 2000s. A friend got it for me for a birthday present, though I'd had the VHS transfer for ages.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 04:32:33 AM »
What about excluding classic bands? What current band/artist would you most like to catch? Probably Fragile or Panzerballett for me.

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:05:20 AM »
I do have an allegedly limited edition 42 minute DVD of them performing at Oxford Polytechnic in 1979

Is that supposed to be limited? I know it got an official release in the mid 2000s. A friend got it for me for a birthday present, though I'd had the VHS transfer for ages.

I think Bruford managed to get a licence from the BBC to release this himself under the title Rock Goes To College. It's great music only slightly spoiled by stupid camera work.

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »
What about excluding classic bands? What current band/artist would you most like to catch? Probably Fragile or Panzerballett for me.

Assuming Fragile are still current definitely them and Kazumi Watanabe and Jeff Richman.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 05:17:02 AM »

I think Bruford managed to get a licence from the BBC to release this himself under the title Rock Goes To College. It's great music only slightly spoiled by stupid camera work.

Well, that, and Annette Peacocks's stilted warbling.  :P  Seriously, when she comes out, the energy gets sucked right out of the room. She even has that, weird girl, stage presence.
Oh, to have her 2 tracks wiped out of that, and replaced with Fainting in Coils and One of a Kind.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:41 AM »
Did Bruford play any gigs without Peacock? But with Holdsworth.
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »

Well, that, and Annette Peacocks's stilted warbling.  :P  Seriously, when she comes out, the energy gets sucked right out of the room. She even has that, weird girl, stage presence.
Oh, to have her 2 tracks wiped out of that, and replaced with Fainting in Coils and One of a Kind.

I'm in that tiny minority that likes her singing. I also think her two solo fusion albums are good (X-Dreams and The Perfect Release).

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
Did Bruford play any gigs without Peacock? But with Holdsworth.

I'm not aware of any Bruford gigs w/ Allan, other than Rock Goes to College

Shadow

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 02:48:25 PM »
I'd like to see Prism. They have one of the largest catalogs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:57:02 PM by Shadow »