Author Topic: New Allan Holdsworth release  (Read 4664 times)

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Allan Holdsworth release
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2017, 07:46:54 AM »
In fairness to AH it is worth reading his version of events on his daughter Louise's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/louise.holdsworth?fref=nf but who knows what the truth is.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:01:59 AM »
In fairness to AH it is worth reading his version of events on his daughter Louise's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/louise.holdsworth?fref=nf but who knows what the truth is.

In fairness to everyone else involved, it's worth noting there's no one else I can think of who works with Leonardo who has a bad word to say. Gary Husband already posted in his defense, as well as Anil Prasad, and Jeff Berlin. Gary and Jeff know from whence they speak on both Allan and Leo. Naturally, all his fanboys are eating up everything AH is saying, but I'm extremely skeptical.

The bottom line is, AH didn't produce the product. Excuses aside, you don't go 17 years without a new studio album because your work process is tip top. It was a bad idea by all involved to put a deadline situation on a guy like this, which is something Gary mentions in todays post. But he also says it was Allan's responsibility to say no to the whole idea, and I agree completely.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2017, 08:52:41 AM »
They were warned, he didn't want to do it. This project was DOA.
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »

In fairness to everyone else involved, it's worth noting there's no one else I can think of who works with Leonardo who has a bad word to say. Gary Husband already posted in his defense, as well as Anil Prasad, and Jeff Berlin. Gary and Jeff know from whence they speak on both Allan and Leo. Naturally, all his fanboys are eating up everything AH is saying, but I'm extremely skeptical.

The bottom line is, AH didn't produce the product. Excuses aside, you don't go 17 years without a new studio album because your work process is tip top. It was a bad idea by all involved to put a deadline situation on a guy like this, which is something Gary mentions in todays post. But he also says it was Allan's responsibility to say no to the whole idea, and I agree completely.

Yes I agree with you. My limited dealings with Leonardo have impressed me with the fact that he appears to be a decent guy with good taste in music and genuine enthusiasm for musicians. The prolonged lack of new material or even live tracks from Allan suggests that the problem is far more likely to be with him. Frankly no one would have suggested working with Allan as an easy way to make money!

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 08:58:30 AM »

Like every other attempt.  :(

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »

Like every other attempt.  :(

The guy can't hardly get guest solos done anymore. Gary mentioned that Allan didn't come through with some solos he promised for him, and Derek Sherinian had the same problem with Allan. He needs therapy.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
Who knew that jazz fusion could ever produce such top-shelf drama?? LOL

It's quite sad to see Allan come to this. His manager made a huge miscalculation in forwarding this idea, but it may be that he didn't see any other option to get Allan back to work.

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 05:17:05 AM »
Gary Husband has now gone on Facebook supporting Leonardo against the allegations made by the AH camp.

I'm a big fan of Allan's music but that doesn't mean I can't see that he seems to have some personal demons to deal with.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 06:11:05 AM »
Gary Husband has now gone on Facebook supporting Leonardo against the allegations made by the AH camp.

I'm a big fan of Allan's music but that doesn't mean I can't see that he seems to have some personal demons to deal with.

You're in the minority then, as far as fans go. Some pretty brutal character assassination going on, on Allan/Louise's post. No thought in their mind, it seems, that maybe their hero is just painting himself as the hapless victim. Telling though, is the amount of industry types defending Leo on other posts. Beyond Husband, Berlin, and Prasad, I saw Dewa Budjana,  Joe Locke, Beledo, Walter Kolosky, Souvik Dutta, Mark Redlefsen, John Kelman, Chris Hoard, Francis Dunnery, Mark Wingfield...the list goes on. I guess he's been great with them, but saved his devious side for AH.  ::)

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:52 PM »
Gary addresses that in his post. Allan is hard on himself, but he also seems to have a tendency to blame everything and everyone around him for his misfortune.

In the end, Allan had his shot at the brass ring with the Warner Bros. contract, via Eddie Van Halen, but he couldn't, or wouldn't, deliver something that Warners thought they could sell in sufficient numbers to make it worth their while.

It's interesting that this occurred right around the same time that Jaco Pastorius was delivering Word of Mouth to Warners after having received a star-level contract. In the documentary on him, the Warners exec who signed him basically said that Jaco didn't care that he had the type of contract normally reserved for pop stars, and he delivered a 'difficult' album that Warners couldn't sell.

I'm sure that Allan didn't receive anything like the contract Jaco did, but it should have been on him to realize that you don't sign with a major label to put out obscure music. He'd been in the business long enough to realize that and should have been responsible for his own decisions, rather than blaming everyone else when it all fell apart and Road Games was the only thing that could be salvaged out of the mess.

I love Allan's playing, and he's a huge influence on me, but it's a shame he couldn't get past his own demons and find the "Coltrane Zone" that I believe he had in him.

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2017, 02:42:19 PM »
Apparently he is working on new material for release on Favored Nations later this year having rejected the work he has already done as it wasn't "new enough". Sadly I will believe this when I see it.

There is more information at facebook.com/allanholdsworthmusic

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile

jacofan

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »
Has anyone bought this that can comment?  There are various comments on other Boards (like Steve Hoffman) but I really don't want to rebuy all of these.  I mean, heck, I remember taking quite a few out of longboxes back in the day!

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
I know a guy, but it's hard to take anyones word on remasters. I believe there is confirmation bias at play any time that is the topic. We're conditioned to believe it's improved sound, and we're loathe to think we wasted money, so we hear improvement, whether it truly exists or not. Rarely do I end up thinking there is a marked upgrade. For what it's worth, he didn't mention the sound of the set..

Checked with him. He says it "has more punch", which is remaster fan-speak for, it's mastered louder. That was to be expected, for 80's albums in particular, but really, that's what it means for most remasters. Whether that justifies the expenditure for you, is up to you.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:49:51 AM by GeorgeX »