Author Topic: New Allan Holdsworth release  (Read 4667 times)

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Allan Holdsworth release
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 09:57:02 AM »
There is a statement on Leonardo Moonjune Pavkovic's Facebook page.

No surprises. Don't expect any new music anytime soon.  :(

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »
Well, surprise surprise. Here come the rest of the tracks...

I wonder if the outcry finally kicked Allan in the rear to get this finished?

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
Well, surprise surprise. Here come the rest of the tracks...

I wonder if the outcry finally kicked Allan in the rear to get this finished?

I know. Amazing! Looking forward to finally getting the tracks after all this time.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 09:09:52 AM »
Downloading now...  8)

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Listening to for the first time right now, and reading Allan's notes that are included in the download. It appears that the bulk of these tracks are Road Games outtakes and alternates. He goes into some detail about what a shitshow that whole experience was for him. Warner Bros. signed him based on Eddie Van Halen's recommendation, but they clearly had no idea what to do with him and tried to dictate his band members and production.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Even the total AH fanboys I know are disappointed in this. As I have said before, I think Allan's greatest worth at this point, would be to get himself into a hip band, where someone else does the lions share of the composing, and keeps a schedule that would give him some structure. Left to his own devices, clearly, nothing much seems to come out of him.

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
Yes, it is disappointing. The rumor mill had it that Allan has a finished album or two sitting unreleased. Maybe that's BS. A collection of Road Games outtakes was not what I was hoping for. It sounds like Allan just threw this together at the last minute to get something out there due to all the criticism.

I agree that Allan probably does better as a sideman in someone else's band at this point. It's a shame nothing further came of his avant-garde project with Terry Bozzio from a few years back, apart from a West Coast tour.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 01:04:58 AM »
The song 'Earth' was such a great start for this project, so, compared to it, a bunch of semi-interesting archive stuff sounds disappointing.
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
The song 'Earth' was such a great start for this project, so, compared to it, a bunch of semi-interesting archive stuff sounds disappointing.

To be fair, the project was sold to contributors as an "opening the archives" situation. It's just that many of us were hoping for unheard material, rather than mostly just alternative mixes of music we already own.

In a way, the final release sounds like Allan settling an old score relating to how he was treated by Warner Bros. The bulk of this should have been on a "deluxe" edition of Road Games.

If he has true unreleased material, maybe he considers it that way for a reason. My sense is that he was hoping to rerecord guitar parts on older unreleased sessions or some such to get them up to his standard, and he got bogged down in self-doubt and unhappiness like he always seems to.

It may be that the only way we're ever going to hear new Holdsworth music is from live recordings where he doesn't have the sole say-so or from sideman session dates.

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:16 AM »
I wonder when this version of Abingdon Chasp was recorded? Maybe even before Feels Good to Me recordings?
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 02:46:56 AM »
I see this has closed with no further progress. I can't say I am surprised.

Leonardo Pavkovic has just posted this on Facebook: The update/comment/note on Allan Holdsworth's Pledge Music page was published/posted without my knowledge and consent, and I am disfranchising myself from all and everything that was written in that posting/update, and I reserve my right not to comment on this any further. A total misusage of my name. Not fair to Allan, not fair to me, not fair to fans, despite some obvious problems.

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »
Wow, that took a turn for the dramatic...

I was disappointed that Allan couldn't deliver some new music as a result of this. The honest truth is that he's probably better off as a sideman/session guy who can just show up and play without having to make the decisions or carry the load.

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
An Open Letter to Allan's Fans

PledgeMusic note: The following post is from the project creators, whom represented the artist at time of launch. This is not information from PledgeMusic, nor is it reflective of PledgeMusic.

Hi All,

This is a very hard letter to write. For many reasons, as will be explained below.

As many of you know this campaign has not resulted in the tracks that Allan had promised to deliver to us as stated in the original Pledge landing page. Below is my personal brief explanation of this entire process. This is on Allan. Not Leonardo and myself.

Leonardo and I started this in the summer of 2014 with the single intent of helping Allan release new music. Something he had not done at that point in over a decade. And to also make money for Allan to survive and create. Allan’s status as one of the premier guitarists of all time is in direct contrast to his living situation. Allan does not live well. His health is not good. But these are his choices not ours. He is his own worst critic and enemy. Allan is truly on Planet Holdsworth. You need only to see how he lives to get a sense that this world is really not where he’s from.

I have been a fan of Allan’s since 1977 when I heard Bundles. It changed my life like a lot of you. I was a young guitarist and hearing Allan was like a lightning bolt through my soul. We all have our Allan stories. His genius is rare and singular. We all can attest to that. He has inspired generations of guitarists and his legacy is in my mind that of a Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc.

When Leonardo and I set forth on this endeavor we had hoped that Allan would play along. He did at first. (I had been warned that he might not by several people. Allan has a long history of not fulfilling commitments.) He felt this idea was asking a lot of his fan by getting money in advance of the music being made. But Allan did finally agree and we pushed forward with the best of intentions as did Allan.

The core idea of this Pledge Campaign was that Allan had recorded with several trios over the last 10-15 years or so and that he needed the money to finish. This project, with the help of many of his great fans, would help realize that. No one was more excited than me being the super fan that I am with the prospects of hearing never before recorded trios with new solos from Allan and new mixes!!!

We launched this in February of 2015. We are now approaching 2017 and the two year mark. In that time Allan delivered one track of what was promised…“Earth”. A great track with the phenomenal bassist Jimmy Johnson and master drummer Virgil Donati. It was Virgil’s tune and he was extremely helpful in working with us to get Allan over the hump and complete it. It was enormous relief to be able to deliver this track to all of you. I personally thought that once over that hump, we had clear sailing. Not so.

In October 2015, I stood in Allan’s kitchen in San Diego where he promised me (and actually played the snippets of the tracks) that Lanyard Loop and Gas Lamp Blues were only a few weeks away from being complete. I posted updates to this effect secure in the knowledge that I’d heard some of the tracks and he was being diligent and responsible in finishing. He swore to me that he would complete them. And that he would work on Pirates of Fukuoka next.

This of course was not the case. Allan continued to promise us and you that he’d make good on the original commitment of the trios of Virgil and Jimmy, Ernst Tibbs and Joel Taylor, Gary Husband and Jimmy Johnson. Other than “Earth”, he did not deliver.

For months and months and then more months we pleaded and cajoled Allan to finish the tracks. What he sent was a major surprise to Leonardo and me. We had not approved these and were stunned when he said he’d completed the project. As cool as the Road Games remixes are and a rare version of Abington Chasp, this was not even close to what was promised.

Also, I should point out here that the bulk of the net profit of this campaign went to Allan after all the merchandise expenses. Leonardo and I made a few thousand dollars each for 2 1/2 years of work!!! This was a labor of love. We (and you) supported Allan and we fed him money to survive. But he did not fulfill his end of the bargain.

I know there are some misplaced conceptions that Leonardo and I did not mange this campaign properly. We did everything and more (beyond the call of duty) to get Allan to cooperate. He did not. And now most likely will not. He feels he has fulfilled his end of the bargain though we all know this is not true.

The ONLY person culpable in this is Allan. As anyone who’s worked with Allan can attest to, there is only one way. Allan’s way. We have been powerless to effect Allan’s decisions in this.

So, we are at a stalemate. We are still hoping that Allan will deliver some of the tracks he promised but it seems very very doubtful. Leonardo and I trying our best to see what can be done through intermediaries,

As I said, this is very painful. I was warned. And now Leonardo and myself have to figure out how to solve this for all you great fans!!

Please stay tuned for a final update very soon.

Thanks to all of your for your support of this.

All the best and Happy Holidays,
 John McC
Paul Marangoni

xmiles

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
Unfortunately this is pretty much what I expected and no blame attaches to those involved. AH clearly has some mental health issues and I suspect that sadly we won't see any new material until after he has died. Not what any of us would have wanted but it is unlikely that anything will change.

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 08:04:49 PM by dsop »
Paul Marangoni