Author Topic: The Behringer Ultrastack BG412H 4x12"" Angled Guitar Speaker Cabinet  (Read 8714 times)

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Here's a reproduction of a review I did over on the Harmony Central site. I recommend consulting this site before purchasing new or used gear, and for inside info after the fact, which might come in handy.
http://www.harmonycentral.com/index.jspa

EZ Pawn- Oltorf- Austin Tx
Price:
$130.00 USD USED
Features:
I was pleased that somebody finally made a stereo cabinet for guitar, and I've had my eye on this model ever since it was introduced. Because I have limited free income, I usually wait and buy stuff used. This Behringer is switchable from mono to stereo. Each stereo side is a top and bottom speaker.

This cabinet is quite heavy, and built like a tank.
Sound Quality:
My main preamp is a Roland GP-100, and I've been using 2 EVM 12s in two small Rivera 1x12 cabinets.
When I hooked up the Behringer, it was too bright, so I went into my Roland's "global" menu and cut the treble by 5 db, and boosted the bass a bit. Roland includes this feature so you don't have to change all your patches every time you change speakers. It sounds fine, now.
I would characterize the sound as tighter than a Marshall, without as much of a pronounced "resonance signature" like a Marshall, or even like the Hughes & Kettner 4x12 I also have; it still does have that Marshall resonance, though, but to a lesser degree. This "resonance signature" of Marshalls is really a low-bass emphasis, which makes those cabinets very bassy-sounding by comparison.
For me, using a modeling preamp with speaker simulator, a flatter, more realistic EQ character is an advantage.
This thing is plenty loud, too. It will easily serve as a stage cabinet and keep up with loud drummers.
Reliability/Durability:
Mine, being used, has a few nicks, but overall, it looks fine. The covering is a thick leather-like stuff, not the super-thin Fender-type fabric.
Someone in a previous review complained of the roller-casters being wacky; mine were, too, and it would not roll straight when I was taking it out of the store. I solved this with spraying some white lithium grease on the caster post & housing. It's ready to roll, now.
Ease of Use:
Customer Support:
I've had no occasion to contact Behringer.
Overall Rating:
If I lost this cabinet, I would want another. The fact that it's the classic Marshall 4x12 design, yet in stereo, is what makes it so desirable for me.
I wouldn't mind having a straight 4x12 also, for a complete stack. Now we're talking some serious volume.
My other Behringer products include their processors (including the Edison stereo image processor, no longer made) and their FCB1010 MIDI foot controller. Combined with the Roland GP-100 and its assignable control-pedal and footswitch options, I've never been happier.
The "Edison" processor I use in my practice-headphone setup, when playing along with instructional CDs, especially the Jamey Aebersold CDs. This way, if the drums are off to one side, I can pan everything just where I need it for easier listenability.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:30:50 AM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
I would post an image, but there is no image browser. (I'm on a Mac, if that makes a difference). I never did figure out how to get a "URL" of an image stored on my computer. I thought a URL was a link to  specific on-line location of an image, not a link to the files in my own computer. That would be unsafe, no? Enlighten me.
Do you insert an image from your e-mail? Why can't we just send a file, like those browsers do?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:47:36 PM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
I'm on a Mac too. 4 of them actually :) It makes no difference. In order to host the image directly on your computer, you'd have to set it up as sort of a server, which you could do, but probably wouldn't want to for security reasons. The best way is to upload the image somewhere and then post the URL. The easiest one I've found is photobucket.com. It's free and very simple to use. Just set up an account, click the upload photos button. Then, when the image appears in the album, click "share" and select the "get link code" tab, and copy the code from "IMG for bulletin boards & forums". You can choose full size or clickable thumb. Just paste the code into your post as is. You may want to downsize photos before uploading them to something between 600-1200 pixels wide. You can do this with iPhoto, but I like to use graphic converter - from the image browser, you can batch convert photos to any location on your computer.

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
THANK YOU, Funkle. Yours is the first definitive answer with a practical solution I've ever gotten. At last, mystery solved. I will begin implementing this solution immediately. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Another thing I've discovered: if you use Photobucket, there's no need to choose an image icon from our local forum menu. Just get the Photobucket code and post it by itself. Otherwise, it repeats the tags at both ends, and won't reproduce. I found this out after about 30 tries.
While I'm it, here's a picture of my recording & MIDI setup.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:37:48 AM by millions »

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Another thing I've discovered: if you use Photobucket, there's no need to choose an image icon from our local forum menu. Just get the Photobucket code and post it by itself. Otherwise, it repeats the tags at both ends, and won't reproduce. I found this out after about 30 tries.

Sorry, I guess I should have made that a little more clear. Thats the cool thing about using photobucket - it makes the whole thing ultra-efficient.

Looks like you have accumulated some rackage! I like the rabbet ears on top :)

Adji

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • DirtBox

My God I could have fun in that room haha!

Behringer get a lot of jip and a lot of the time it is to do with snobbery. They seem to have stepped up their game recently and I'm quite impressed by a few of their mixing desks I have tried.

As for that cab, I have never tried it, but it looks like it is built like a tank, some speaker replacement (personal choice of course) and it would probably be a great cab.

I too have a H&K slanted 4x12 (VC412) and its a great cab, quite bright but not harsh, just screaming presence!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 01:57:45 PM by Adji »