Author Topic: ToneZappa's backing tracks  (Read 4772 times)

ToneZappa

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
ToneZappa's backing tracks
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
Heres a couple of BTs I did on SoundClick.

"The Messenger" BT  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7012412
"The Messenger" My Take http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6981486

"The Plod" BT  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8304557
"The Plod" My Take (Slime Wah guitar solo) http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8304487

ToneZappa Backing Tracks http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=887307

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:14:33 AM »
As soon as I can get something together, I will submit it. This will be a good chance to demonstrate our harmonic ideas, as well as our production skills.
I've got Logic, so I can present files in AIFF or WAV (for ProTools). What kind of resolution should we use preferably? I do a lot of stuff at 44.1/16 bit, but I can do 96 KHz/24 bit also.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:17:56 AM by millions »
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
Heres a couple of BTs I did on SoundClick.

"The Messenger" BT  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7012412
"The Messenger" My Take http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6981486

"The Plod" BT  http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8304557
"The Plod" My Take (Slime Wah guitar solo) http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8304487

ToneZappa Backing Tracks http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=887307

Woo hoo! Those are awesome. Could you post the chord charts?

ToneZappa

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »
Woo hoo! Those are awesome. Could you post the chord charts?
[/quote]

Thanks "funkle" .... "The Plod" is just fun in E for hours. The "Messenger" is not so easy, it sounds very easy but to make flow from start to finish whilst saying something is a bit harder. The chords are very open which is what I like (no 3rd etc)
Heres a chord chart but with no names !!! (have fun and if you are on SoundClick I can put a link to your version from my page)

Bub Roberts "The Messenger"

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
Re: ToneZappa's backing tracks
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
Thanks to Bub Roberts (ToneZappa) for providing these great backing tracks. Here's my first approach to his "The Messenger."
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9356096
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »
That totally gave me that "I'm going to pass put and/or throw up if I don't get my bearings" feeling!
It must be jazz!
It would be really cool if you could make a lesson out of your approach to ToneZappa's comp and post it for us some time!

EDIT: that should have been "pass out", but I was jamming to "The Plod" for hours yesterday, and I can't feel my fingers....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:04:25 AM by Halfdim7 »
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:04:48 PM »
Actually, halfdim, I'm unsure about the chord at 1:17-1:25. At first, I thought the progression (from 0:59) was Am7 to BbMaj7 to G min7, repeating Am7 to BbMaj7 to Gmin7...

...then the bass drops to F#, in what appears to be an F#Maj7/#11, voiced similarly to my favorite way, low to high: F#(root)-C#(fifth)-A#(M3rd)-B#(#11)-E#(maj7), with the B#-E# (perfect fourth) on top (This chord is tricky to spell).
Tasty! I heard the pianist Mal Waldron use this chord in his tune "Duquility" (from "The Quest" w/Eric Dolphy).

Then, from that F# chord,  to what I thought (or wanted to be) an Eb7 sus, but later I noticed there was still an "E" natural in the bass, so it might be E maj 7...I'm confused as to what is happening here, maybe ToneZappa can clarify this part.

I treated that part as an Eb7sus. I hear a clash there, now.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 04:11:48 PM by millions »

ToneZappa

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 01:53:18 AM »
Actually, halfdim, I'm unsure about the chord at 1:17-1:25. At first, I thought the progression (from 0:59) was Am7 to BbMaj7 to G min7, repeating Am7 to BbMaj7 to Gmin7...

...then the bass drops to F#, in what appears to be an F#Maj7/#11, voiced similarly to my favorite way, low to high: F#(root)-C#(fifth)-A#(M3rd)-B#(#11)-E#(maj7), with the B#-E# (perfect fourth) on top (This chord is tricky to spell).
Tasty! I heard the pianist Mal Waldron use this chord in his tune "Duquility" (from "The Quest" w/Eric Dolphy).

Then, from that F# chord,  to what I thought (or wanted to be) an Eb7 sus, but later I noticed there was still an "E" natural in the bass, so it might be E maj 7...I'm confused as to what is happening here, maybe ToneZappa can clarify this part.

I treated that part as an Eb7sus. I hear a clash there, now.

Hey "Millions" only just noticed your take on "The Messenger".....nice one, some blusey things going on here and there.

The Chords !!! in my chord chart I didn,t name any chords because I tend to use chords as a colour. By that I mean they are just notes from the scale/mode I,m using. Most of the chords in my music are small 3 or 4 note chords and usually the 3rd is not stated so depending what happens before or after tends to dictate if its major or minor. Example the first chord you could play E mixolydian over then E dorian on the next chord (where the minor 3rd apears) that gives that lovely major to minor vibe but in my take I chose not to do that.

You are kind of right about the chord names on the chorus (see chord chart) you can see why I wrote down the voicings otherwise if someone played the chords you just mentiond it would sound slightly different (kind of like reading the chords from an old "Beatles" song book !!!) also just to confuse matters I dubbed on a higher guitar part playing 1 or 2 higher notes. They don,t effect the chord names but made it sound more like an Fender Rhodes.

The last chord of the chorus is not Eb Maj7.
It has an E bass if anything think of it as E Maj7th (the bass guitar goes between E and Eb ...the major 7th) it reads like this E, Maj3rd, 6th, Maj7th and another 6th on top I played E lydian over it. The outro is E lydian as well.

Having said all this I,m totally open about music in my book you can play any note anywhere its just how you get there and back again !!! My own music is very logical though most of what I play/write is improvised (just gut feeling and a good ear) but when I,ve looked into it later I see that its all very very logical.

If you want I can put a link on my SoundClick page to your version of "The Messenger".... is that OK with you?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:09:35 AM by ToneZappa »

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:11:52 AM »
Yes, ToneZappa, by all means, put a link. I was going to contact you about that, as I was not sure of the procedure.Thanks for providing the tracks; I'll do the same when I get one ready.

I'll probably do another version of "The Messenger" so I can get that "E" part corrected.

BTW, I suggest that everyone check out the "Soundclick" site, esp. if you have recordings to share. It's a neat site.

I was really impressed by your ideas on the solo guitar videos. It's obvious that you have put in some serious work on the guitar.

ToneZappa

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Yes, ToneZappa, by all means, put a link. I was going to contact you about that, as I was not sure of the procedure.Thanks for providing the tracks; I'll do the same when I get one ready.

I'll probably do another version of "The Messenger" so I can get that "E" part corrected.

BTW, I suggest that everyone check out the "Soundclick" site, esp. if you have recordings to share. It's a neat site.

I was really impressed by your ideas on the solo guitar videos. It's obvious that you have put in some serious work on the guitar.

Okay I,ll put that link up for you.
SoundClick is very easy to use and if you look you will find some good music. I like many people use it just to host audio for gear demos and some improvisation ideas. Theres many musicians and non musicians on that site so it can be interesting to get some feedback from people. But I don,t really play that SoundClick game of being friends with everybody but if someone makes a really nice comment I do get back to them.

"Serious work on the guitar"...... only in recent years I would say I put serious work into music. I always used to hate the guitar but it was the instrument I played best. I would never do solos and was happy just adding to the groove, I played a lot of disco music (a money gig) not too many solos....

I was jamming to "The Plod" for hours yesterday, and I can't feel my fingers....

Hey when the fingers come back to life.... record some of that "Plod" action for us....

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 10:50:48 PM »

I was jamming to "The Plod" for hours yesterday, and I can't feel my fingers....

Hey when the fingers come back to life.... record some of that "Plod" action for us....

Be careful what you wish for! Part of the reason I mangled my hands playing along to that track for so long(apart from it being a lot of fun!) was that I couldn't seem to come up with anything worth recording. I've got to put my guitar in the shop(stripped lock-nut, possible electrical short) but I'll put some real effort into it when I'm up and running again.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
Thanks to Bub Roberts (ToneZappa) for providing these great backing tracks. Here's my first approach to his "The Messenger."
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9356096

Great playing Mil! That inspired me to get into that tune and see what I can do.

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:11 PM »
Thanks, funkle. I used my Roland GP-100 direct in for that...Now I've got to prove that I can be subtle, too...