Author Topic: Commercially available backing tracks  (Read 3582 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Commercially available backing tracks
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
Here's a few I like:

Modal Mojo Dominant Modes Play-along Grooves In Jazz, Rock and Fusion   ~ Don Mock Dave Coleman Steve Kim
This is a $7.99 download from Amazon. I like these so much. Each track is a static dominant jam (no changes), but each one focuses on a different mode (Mixolydian, Lydian Dom, Phyrgian Dom & altered). They are good to get you thinking about the different alterations very fluidly, and they have enough motion to coax you to play with some motion, and dynamics.

Jamey Aebersold - vol 109, Fusion
A little '80s, but there are some fun ones, I like Back on the Track

Aebersold - Vol 54 Maiden Voyage
Impressions, Footprints, Summertime, H20-mellon Man, a couple blues. I like blowing over these tunes with a thick distorted tone  ;D

Aebersold - Breckers
Don't have this one yet. Looks fun

Aebersold - Randy Brecker
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:19:19 AM by funkle »

fusion58

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • daimone-sound.com
Re: Commercially available backing tracks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:35:09 PM »
From Frank Gambale's message board:

Guys,
My new www.playalongtracks.com is up and running..more groovy music minus one to play along to...in most cases I'm comping for YOU!!!
It's a work in progress and I will keep adding as time goes by...this has taken several years to come to fruition.

Have fun...tell your friends....

FG

millions

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-O-Phile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:27:27 PM »
The Steve Khan CDs have some great backing tracks. "Pentatonic KHANcepts" and "Chord KHANcepts" are both great books.
"In Spring! In the creation of art, it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg
"The trouble with New Age music is that there's no evil in it."-Brian Eno

fusion58

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • daimone-sound.com
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:38 PM »
The Steve Khan CDs have some great backing tracks. "Pentatonic KHANcepts" and "Chord KHANcepts" are both great books.

Just ordered the latter a few days ago - waiting eagerly for the book to arrive. 8)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »

Just ordered the latter a few days ago - waiting eagerly for the book to arrive. 8)

I've worked a lot from that book, he lays out a really usable chordal approach. His guide tone blues voicings, 2 & 3 note II-V-I, and modal voicings are extremely usable & hip, not the usual 4 & 5 note voicings you usually get from jazz charts, which IMO, are not usable in real life settings. I need to get the pentatonics one.

Fuze-zone friendly links:
Contemporary Chord Khancepts
Pentatonic Khancepts
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:09:08 AM by funkle »

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:11:49 AM »

Guys,
My new www.playalongtracks.com is up and running..more groovy music minus one to play along to...in most cases I'm comping for YOU!!!
It's a work in progress and I will keep adding as time goes by...this has taken several years to come to fruition.

FG

Sweet!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:16:41 PM »
I checked out those links and a lot of 'em sound really cool! The dominant vamps sound like a lot of fun, and they also have the major and minor modal versions of the set.
My only gripe w/ the Gambale site is it doesn't seem to let you preview all of the tracks before you buy(just a few "samples), which at almost three bucks apiece is a bit annoying.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

fusion58

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • daimone-sound.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »

I've worked a lot from that book, he lays out a really usable chordal approach. His guide tone blues voicings, 2 & 3 note II-V-I, and modal voicings are extremely usable & hip, not the usual 4 & 5 note voicings you usually get from jazz charts, which IMO, are not usable in real life settings. I need to get the pentatonics one.

Fuze-zone friendly links:
Contemporary Chord Khancepts
Pentatonic Khancepts

Very cool!

I'm looking forward to reading this book.

I ordered the book because I just gave some of Steve's records, namely "Eyewitness," and "Crossings," a fresh listen after many years, and I was really impressed anew by his chordal approach.

Should be great!  8)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »

Guys,

FG

I wasn't that psyched on the BTs that you could preview. Generic and not very HQ, and not fusion. But FG does some very hood BT's in the music minus 1 section of his site.