Author Topic: My new pet peeve  (Read 2362 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
My new pet peeve
« on: July 18, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
is smart phones at concerts. Trying to get into the mood of the show I was at last night was tough with the sea of smart phone screens glaring at me from the audience. do the not see the irony in that they are watching the live show they are at trough the screen of their phone? And the guy next to me who was checking his texts every 2 minutes on some giant android thing that didn't seem to have the auto-dimming feature that my phone has. Really? can he not disconnect for an hour and a half and enjoy a show? And the recording has become so invasive that the venues & artists have pretty much given up on trying to stop it. Used to be they's come after you with a Ginsu at Yoshis, but not any more. One might conclude it is a generational thing, but most of the offenders were older fellows.

Smart phones are really a blessing and a curse. One of the greatest inventions in my lifetime, but they can make us into fools sometimes. Yes, I am basically a grumpy old fart.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: My new pet peeve
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
Agree with all of this! Except for smart phones being one of the greatest inventions. Worthless to me!

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
Worthless to me!

You're one of those guys hah? Have you had one yet? What is it you don't like about them? To me it has to be one of the most capable devices I could imagine, like if somebody pitched it to me 15 years ago I wouldn't believe it and people would pay millions for one. But it costs $200 now. It has uses in virtually everything I do. I navigates me in my car, records my mountain bike rides, collects data when I race my car, replaces a $200 guitar tuner, lets me read books or surf when I end up stuck waiting somewhere, provides a decent camera, controls the music in my home, brings a huge music collection contacts & photos with me where ever I go. I could probably go on.

I could not live without it. Think I've drunk the koolaid? I love it but I have learned not to be that guy who's on it at times when I needn't or shouldn't. I had a wake up call one time when I was texting while crossing the street and almost got hit by a bus :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:41:38 PM by funkle »

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »
Damn. Yeah, distracted walking/driving is a scourge of society these days. I have never had a smart phone, no. As such, I can't say I dislike them, but I don't feel any need for one either. I could see being a devotee if it tackled as many tasks for me as it does for you, but I can't think of much I'd want out of it. I'm a grumpier, older, fart I guess!

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
I definitely have mixed feelings about these phones. We've had ours for about six months or so. It has lots of conveniences, as Funkle outlined. Google Maps is great for getting around certainly. I can't imagine reading on a smart phone, an iPad yes. I only use my iPod at work. I recently added a tuner to the phone, for home use and rehearsals. Do I need it, not really. The camera is nice to have, though it doesn't work with distances very well. I do surf the net waiting for the doctor sometimes, but I usually bring something to read. I think it is sad to see so many people texting constantly. Never mind how dangerous it is while driving or crossing the street. I do it myself, but rarely. It is certainly annoying at concerts. Our daughter pushed us to get these phones. They are a convenience and an annoyance.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »
New technology comes around all the time these days, but it's up to people how they use it. Smart phones don't necessarily mean smart users.
Remember how the internet was supposed to be this big revolution in raw information? It was gonna cut-out the talking heads and the middle-men. No more relying on the whims of self-interested news corporations like CNN. No sir.
Now the people who used to watch CNN go to CNN.com.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

Shadow

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:41:39 AM »
I have a smart phone. All it does is ring and I say hello. Do you notice with better technology and information sources you have to fill out more forms every time at the doctor's office.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:27:44 AM »
you have to fill out more forms every time at the doctor's office.

Don't they have an app for that?  :laugh:

conebeckham

• Trusted Member
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
I like my smart phone, but I agree that folks need to cool it at live shows.....put that damn thing away.

Seriously.