Author Topic: 2 blown amps - learn from my mistakes  (Read 1849 times)

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
2 blown amps - learn from my mistakes
« on: March 06, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Over the weekend, I was doing some work on the wall where my home theatre lives. Rerouting some wires & moving receptacles. I was rewiring a wall-mounted speaker jack which feeds the rear channel of my HT and the kitchen ceiling speakers. I was tired & forgot the receiver was on, and the Sonos Connect Amp, which is never really off, were both hooked up. I somehow shorted both amps together and a big poof of smoke came out of the sonos. Both of them them are fried. I've never done this before in my life, but managed to do 2 at once on Sunday. I have the receiver at a repair place - hopefully just a blown transistor & fuse. If it's major, the receiver which once cost $1000 can be replaced with a used one for $150 (the old heavy MIJ Dolby-D receivers are the best). Luckily Sonos has a liberal replacement program, and is selling me a new one at a quarter of retail.

I know not to do this, but I was tired and in a hurry and forgot to be careful. Please learn from my stupidity and always power off & unplug your amps before fiddling with the speaker wires.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:26:12 PM by funkle »

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Re: 2 blown amps - learn from my mistakes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:18 PM »
Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I used to live at a place with really unreliable wiring(to the point that I fully expected the walls to catch fire before I could get outta the dump). I didn't fry any stereo equipment, but my first-ever tube amp, a Vox AC4TV, stopped working after hardly any use whatsoever(I still need to get it fixed, but there are no suitable places near where I live, and I'm not even sure what's wrong).
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

conebeckham

• Trusted Member
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Bummer, Funkle.  Sorry to hear that.  At least you didn't electrocute yourself.  (Ya, I know, can't be done with speaker wires....but it could have been worse.  No one was hurt).

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
Turning off the amp is always advisable, certainly. No YouTube? Sorry to hear about the amp fryage.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »
Turning off the amp is always advisable, certainly. No YouTube? Sorry to hear about the amp fryage.

No, but it would've been classic. My wife says "oh, so that's what it smells like when an amp blows up"