Author Topic: Satch gets some fine musicians on tour  (Read 3534 times)

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
Satch gets some fine musicians on tour
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »
Marco Minneman, Bryan Beller and Mike Keneally (on keys) will tour with Joe Satriani this year. Isn't Joe lucky?

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: Satch gets some fine musicians on tour
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
Would be a pretty cool show if Joe wasn't there  :laugh:

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  ;D
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:49 AM »
I like a lot of Joe's material. He had Dave LaRue on bass the last time I saw him, who pumped 8th notes all night and collected a fine pay check, like Stu used to do. Maybe they'll do a Joe Satriani tour without Joe after the Satch tour is over for you guys.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:09 AM »

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  ;D

Ditto. Lowest common denominator instrumental pablum.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »
If I recall, he had one of the Bromberg brothers in his band, at one point. "Echoes" is a great piece of mood fusion, even if that's not Satch's usual mode.
Incidentally, I just watched Steve Vai's "Where The Wild Things Are" concert, and enjoyed most of it(he did some singing which I could have done without).
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »
FWIW, I think Joe is a phenomenal & impactful guitarist, and a nice guy. But a fusion player he is not.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »
Definitely not fusion, but a fine player with good material. I like his material over Vai's for the most part, and his playing as well, though Vai has had many great moments.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:49:35 PM »
I think you always run the risk of splitting hairs when trying to define a "fusion" guitarist. I think Satriani(and, even more so, Vai) certainly have the capability to play fusion, even though that's not their primary format. People like Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, and Tommy Bolin participated in terrific fusion projects, even though their vocabularies were not heavily jazz-oriented, while McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Henderson, and others who are definitely most associated with the fusion movement, have played in rock, prog, and blues bands. A lot of the 80s fusion and shred guys went to the same music schools, as well.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
I think you always run the risk of splitting hairs when trying to define a "fusion" guitarist. I think Satriani(and, even more so, Vai) certainly have the capability to play fusion, even though that's not their primary format. People like Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, and Tommy Bolin participated in terrific fusion projects, even though their vocabularies were not heavily jazz-oriented, while McLaughlin, Holdsworth, Henderson, and others who are definitely most associated with the fusion movement, have played in rock, prog, and blues bands. A lot of the 80s fusion and shred guys went to the same music schools, as well.

Splitting hairs on a slippery slope for sure, but Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, and Tommy Bolin all aspired to play fusion, or functioned in that role in some way, but I don't think you could say Satch ever "aspired" to play fusion.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 05:44:58 PM »

Splitting hairs on a slippery slope for sure, but Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck, and Tommy Bolin all aspired to play fusion, or functioned in that role in some way, but I don't think you could say Satch ever "aspired" to play fusion.

This. Except I don't even think it's a slippery slope. Either you have played on records or tours that the majority of the people that follow the genre accept as fusion, or you haven't. Satch certainly hasn't done either. I don't believe in what someone "could" do. Show me. Til then, you aren't it.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »
I don't even think it's a slippery slope. Either you have played on records or tours that the majority of the people that follow the genre accept as fusion, or you haven't.

First we'd have to establish what qualifies as fusion. Luckily, there's a thread for that, too. And I have a feeling something really definitive will come out of it any day now, and we will finally have a Theory Of Everything, which describes the string that links Soul Jazz to Bossa Nova to Bitches Brew to Birds of Fire to ECM to ... yeah.
Any day now.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
Here he is with Stu Hamm doing an extended version of "Echo" at Montreux.
Joe Satriani - "Echo" (Montreux Jazz Festival 1988)

Satriani's a bit uneven here, in my opinion--he doesn't recapture the solemn feel of the original, but it's interesting to see Hamm's approach to the bass part, which he extends to cover more ground in the arrangement. I think Joe played the bass on this on the original recording, and it is a very simple, but effective little figure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:30:04 AM by Halfdim7 »

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
Joe's a favorite of mine and a huge influence. His new album will have some heavy hitters, too, including Vinnie Colaiuta, so I'm hoping he'll give them and the live band more room to play than he normally does.

He's pretty explicit about being a ROCK guitarist, even though he's got more than enough ability to play jazz. The man studied theory with Lennie Tristano, so I'm sure he can play anything he wants. In fact, on the various G3 tours, he ran rings around Vai during the big encore jams, because he's a better improviser, even if he doesn't quite have Vai's chops overall.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 09:56:13 AM by profusion »