Author Topic: Super Audio CD  (Read 10752 times)

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
Re: Super Audio CD
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
It seems as though the big electronics companies aren't even making this stuff anymore. Look at JVC, Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. and you'll notice that they don't offer much in the way of CD players anymore (or at least way fewer choices than before). Same thing with nice monitors/speakers. Now they all sell small bookshelf stuff, and that's about it. I think this is a mistake and a lost opportunity. If these manufacturers offered a few really "nice" home audio systems, and made them "simple" for the average user to configure/setup, I bet you'd see a resurgence in audiophiles.

Or, maybe not.
Paul Marangoni

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
It seems as though the big electronics companies aren't even making this stuff anymore. Look at JVC, Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. and you'll notice that they don't offer much in the way of CD players anymore (or at least way fewer choices than before). Same thing with nice monitors/speakers. Now they all sell small bookshelf stuff, and that's about it. I think this is a mistake and a lost opportunity. If these manufacturers offered a few really "nice" home audio systems, and made them "simple" for the average user to configure/setup, I bet you'd see a resurgence in audiophiles.

Or, maybe not.

There has been a great resurgence with more underground brands that have reacted to the recession by offering exciting products at relatively good prices. I think there is some of the coolest, most creative product I've ever seen. Now is a great time to get a low budget hi-fi system, just not from the big companies like you mention, which have always really been mid-fi.

http://schiit.com/

http://www.johnblue-audio.com/

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/

http://joeyroth.com/

http://www.glow-audio.com/home.html

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Paul Marangoni

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Yes Bryston makes some good stuff. We had some of their stuff at the HiFi outlet store I worked at in the summer of '85 and I. It holds it's price really well with the 20 year transferrable warranty. I don't know much about their music server, do you have one? This one is pretty nice: http://www.psaudio.com/shop/perfectwave-dac/

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 03:30:33 PM »
I only know of Bryston because a recording studio I worked at a long time ago used Bryston amplifiers. I may pick up some of their speakers later this year.
Paul Marangoni

profusion

• Fully-Fuzed
    • View Profile
    • Listen to my music
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
I didn't know those 160gb iPods were still available. I haven't seen them listed in catalogs etc. for awhile. It's stupid for Apple to discontinue them, but I suppose they are fairly fragile compared to the solid state drives in the iPod Touch and other smaller players.

Again, this just shows how the world of digital audio files is aimed at teenagers and other casual listeners who don't need to have enough room for 50 years' worth of music.

GeorgeX

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »

Again, this just shows how the world of digital audio files is aimed at teenagers and other casual listeners who don't need to have enough room for 50 years' worth of music.

There's a young twenty-something a couple blocks over from me. He told me has his whole collection encoded at 128k so he van fit it all on his 160pod. Claims he can't hear the difference between 128s on his pod and a cd on a nice system anyway.   :'(

dsop

• Half-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »
Claims he can't hear the difference between 128s on his pod and a cd on a nice system anyway.   :'(

I wonder what constitutes a "nice system" to him... :'(
Paul Marangoni

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
I'm an anal retentive guy who has all my CDs in alphabetical order. I don't mind digital files, but my problem is that I do the majority of my listening in the car while commuting, and it's a hassle to deal with moving music on and off of an iPod etc. They don't make high-capacity mobile players anymore, which is just ridiculous. If I could get a 200 or 300 gb player, I'd consider it. But I'm not going to deal with trying to organize the 32gb I have available on my phone. It's easier just to pick out a CD or two from the shelf each morning.
That's what I do, throw a few CDs/cassettes in the car.
I also have an iPod Classic used for work, inspired by Cone. No ear buds for me though.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2013, 07:51:08 PM »
I also have an iPod Classic used for work, inspired by Cone. No ear buds for me though.

no 8-track?

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
I really dont have a problem with the 32G capacity on my iPhone. I have it sync with a smart playlist that is ever changing based on new addition and my ratings. I like to put it on random and get surprised.

The player memory sizes have gotten smaller because everyone is going to solid state with no hardrives like the iPod classic. I'm sure in a year or 2 they will be up over 100G. It seems they are all shooting for cloud based storage anyway.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »

no 8-track?
Too many tracks for me. If they had a seven track, I would have been on it like white on rice, cold on ice, cats on mic, spots on dice and a trigger on a nuclear device.
Don't be afraid. Try one of these on for size: http://www.amazon.com/TECHNICS-SL-1200MK2-Manual-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX  It's not an eight track player either.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:55 AM »

no 8-track?
Too many tracks for me. If they had a seven track, I would have been on it like white on rice, cold on ice, cats on mic, spots on dice and a trigger on a nuclear device.
Don't be afraid. Try one of these on for size: http://www.amazon.com/TECHNICS-SL-1200MK2-Manual-Stereo-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX  It's not an eight track player either.

LOL. I recognize that. It's one of those things the DJs use as decorations on either side of their digital player!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
Ever seen an iPod Shuffle? Around $60 for a device that doesn't even give you the option of picking what you want to hear.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
Ever seen an iPod Shuffle? Around $60 for a device that doesn't even give you the option of picking what you want to hear.

But it comes in 8 cheery colors.