Author Topic: Copyright Lawyers Vs. The Free Market  (Read 2404 times)

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Copyright Lawyers Vs. The Free Market
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
Recently this has come to my attention. We've discussed the absurdity of the modern copyright system and its impact on obscure music, and some of our members trade albums with one another, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I am not a legal scholar and the reaction may be alarmist, but given the recent activity of the U.S. Supreme Court, absolutely nothing would surprise me. Because this will effect imports, it could, to some extent, indirectly impact those of you who do not even live in the U.S.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/06/if-youve-ever-sold-a-used-ipod-you-may-have-violated-copyright-law/258276/
http://www.youvebeenowned.org

Also, feel free to comment if you just happen to think my title for this thread is a totally bitchen example of propaganda, and you think I should be offered a job by some struggling(but wealthy) government.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright Lawyers Vs. The Free Market
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
One thing that apple, in their ultimate wisdom  :P, had done with IOS products create a totally secure file structure. If someone acquires an IOS product that has copywriten material on it, in ortder to continue accessing that material, they would have to never sync the device, because as soon as they do, the itunes library will get wiped as it is replaced by their own library. So kind of a moot point. Maybe with other brands of music players where you can access and remove the files it would be an issue, but not iPod.

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:20 AM »
Well, that's one of the reasons I never touch anything with "Apple" on it. It's the forbidden fruit, for me. Besides that, I've got a friend whose husband replaced her ailing Linux system with a Mac and the non-adjustable font-size has been a disaster, since she is near-sighted. I don't like my O.S. to tell me what I can and can't do.
This whole legal battle of icons that "bounce"(Nintendo has products that do the same, but I guess Apple knows better than to go toe-to-toe with somebody who knows how to play dirty) just shows how demented things have become in the field of copyright law.
It really is a remarkable article. Some guy imports some text books, because they are sold cheaper overseas, and sells 'em to people in the U.S., and gets sued by the publisher. What the hell?
It would be interesting to hear from the dude from Audiophile Imports on this, since it could apply to that kind of business in particular.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03:29 AM »
Besides that, I've got a friend whose husband replaced her ailing Linux system with a Mac and the non-adjustable font-size has been a disaster, since she is near-sighted. I don't like my O.S. to tell me what I can and can't do.

Font size is adjusted through Universal Access in System Preferences. Whom should I send my bill to? :)

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
You should totally write a book.

rapidfirerob

• Global Moderator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
    • Idlewild West
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
You should totally write a book.
He is writing a book, here, very slowly.