Author Topic: Here's part of one of our originals, "Mikey" dedicated to Mike Stern  (Read 2359 times)

Time Out

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQ3_KjI-Dc
Would love to hear what you think. Thanks for your time!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Here's part of one of our originals, "Mikey" dedicated to Mike Stern
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
The mobile version of YouTube won't function correctly on regular browsers. Here's the converted URL:
Time Out- Mikey

....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

Time Out

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 02:34:49 AM »
sorry about that...thanks for providing the correct link

JaySee

• Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
I like it. It would be nice to hear the whole song.
Spotify playlist : Confusion? Fusion!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:18 AM »
No problem, Time Out. YouTube should really correct these things automatically, since people move so much from device to device. I had to edit the URL manually to get it to work.

I like the sax lines. To my taste, it would be good if the rhythm section injected some more fire into the performance(and if the bass player played some bass), but maybe you're going for the "cool" thing and that's fine too. I noticed that the YouTube video had a number of views, but didn't have any likes or dislikes. That might be instructive that you might want to try to be a bit more polarizing. Then again, my mind works in strange ways and I'm not a professional musician.
....lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, fucked up playing....

Time Out

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
Sorry we didn't get the whole thing recorded. It was an operator error. We definitely need to have more of a presence onstage.  It's something we know we need to work on...right now we rely on our audience to feed our energy too much.  I'm not sure we want to be polarizing, but yeah, SOME reaction would probably be a good thing. Thanks for your input!

Halfdim7

• Founding Member
  • Fuze-Master
  • Founder, Resident Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:30:36 AM »
Knowing how to take and apply constructive criticism(i.e. not the usual YouTube commentary of "man U suk cuz I h8 saxofon its gay lol") gives you guys a major advantage, right off the bat. I hope you guys will keep at it.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
Where's the guitar?!!! Just kidding  8) Sounds great. Are you guys in music school?

Time Out

• Con-Fuzed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:38 PM »
We all go to different public schools.  We met and began playing together at a music studio called Inspire!.  We were the rhythm section for one of the jazz bands and decided we wanted to do our own stuff and started writing and recording. We also have a vocalist now, and are recording a full length cd.  We're learning a lot in the process!  Constructive criticism is always welcome...that's why we're here. Well, that and to try and get more people to hear us!  And we are used to the not so constructive stuff, too.  Most of our friends won't even like our facebook page.  We don't exactly play their kind of music. It's okay, though.  We are having fun. Thanks again.  We really appreciate the comments.

funkle

• Administrator
  • Fuze-Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
Honestly, I wouldn't criticize a thing. It has depth, but grooves enough to keep it fun. Assuming you are all in high school, the playing & composition is all way beyond your years. It gives me hope for humanity when I see the younger generations embracing good music! Just don't get any delusions that you'll ever have any commercial success playing this kind of music  :-\ Do it for fun, enjoy it and don't worry about what anyone thinks. I sure wish I had done something like that when I was that age. Keep up the good work, and please feel free to post any of it here!

Edit: I went to your youtube page and played the vids today. In one, I think I heard the bass player was 13. Not sure how long ago this was shot, but I'm way beyond impressed! That's not that much older than my daughter who is struggling to get the form of Twinkle Little Star down  ;D Great work! And it looks like you're already hanging with the right people (like Victor Wooten)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:14:00 PM by funkle »